Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Frustrated Feelings


Frustrated Feelings

RedHairedandFriendly

Author’s Note: I met her at weddings and family affairs, not at weekend card games or shopping sprees, but Becky C. was a part of my family and her shocking and unexpected death still hurts. For Becky, her surviving husband and newborn son, I leave these words. A paltry thing to offer, but all I can give. ~ Red


Daisy chains and kisses lay littered on the ground.
Tiny fingers grip the hands of a man wearing a frown.
Hearts lie broken on a sea of glass.
Teardrops fall; silent sobs pass.

Eyes lift, up to the sky.
Whispers are spoken, from lips asking why.
Dreams were made, now they lie scattered about.
While two hands try to figure it out.

He holds his head, against clenched fists,
and trembles and shakes not wanting this.
She stares down, her heart healed and complete,
from a hurt no one saw; no one could defeat.

No pain does she suffer, only joy does she see.
Though she knows her love hurts, this is what must be.
There was no survey or questionnaire to fill-in.
It was her time and now they must mend.

She’ll be there, watching with love,
as tiny fingers and toes, grow into someone
whose full of spirit, fight, and romance.
And one day they’ll all meet and once again dance.

~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~

This morning I woke up and I was in a good mood, for about two hours. In the ring of the phone all that changed. My Mother-in-law called and she was crying. Becky, my husband's cousin's wife, passed away sometime during the early morning hours, or very late last night. I do not know all the details. The poem above I wrote for her husband, new baby and her. *sigh*

Becky was 26. A new mom. I didn't "know" her well, but I knew her enough from the brief encounters at weddings, family get togethers, and through the grape vine of relatives that we do see on a regular basis. She was a beautiful woman, with a kind heart from what I remember and from what I know others believe.

The pain is real for me, a different level of pain than what I would experience if it were my cousin or his wife that we do see often. . .but the pain is real. I can not imagine what Craig is going through, or Becky's parents. To have this wonderful gift of a newborn and then less than a week lose his mother, without even there being a warning.

Is it softer on your heart if you have a warning? If you have time to prepare? I don't know. Sometimes you wonder. . .dwell or be shocked. . .where is the happy medium of death. . .is there one? I don't think so.

My husband and I will attend the funeral and I do hope to have answers to her death. I don't need them, no. . . but I too wonder what struck this woman down in the prime of her life, the highlight of her youth?

So again. . . I ask you as I have in other posts off and on in this blog. . . love your family. . .your friends. . .your aquaintances. . . because one phone call is all that keeps your world from tilting on its side and the contents spilling out. *kiss*


No comments: